Friday, July 31, 2009

Belonging

I was just thinking how many 'groups' that I belong to. The group of Graves, Bramalls, Matthews, Blatters... you know families that you love and appreciate. But there are so many events in our lives that bind you together almost as strongly as family. Some that spring to mind are those who attended Mapleton Grade School or Mapleton 3rd Ward. There is the class of '75, the members of Mapleton Single ward, roommates, work associates, and most recently members of Bands, Alchemists, Grandview 18th Ward, and my AMAZING neighborhood. But I guess that one I want to blog about is missions.

Because our mission president passed away shortly after serving, there have not been many reunions. Finally, Hulse took it upon himself to remedy this. He put together a mission reunion. What a rush! Even though I haven't seen or heard from most of these people for years, the love and bond I felt is still there. There is something about working together for a cause that build very strong ties!

Here is a picture of the sisters that attended. From the back: Stephenson, Gammon, Smith, Bodijn, ME, Taggart, (not sure) Front: Barker, Deakin, and Nielson. I wish more sisters would have attended.
This is some of the missionaries that went on their mission Jan-March 1979. Alan Hale still lives in Oakley, Idaho and I get to see him every time I go to church there! Randy Bunn and Bruce Schvaneveldt are two elders I haven't seen since Holland. Then there's Robert. I get to see him every 3rd Saturday of June. You know for a cousin, I just don't see him enough! Then me and the only other one that was in my group-Merk! Mark Merkling and I were in the MTC together and served in Den Haag together. What an amazing man. Seeing him brought back a flood of memories and emotions! What a treat!
Here is Karla (Barker) Porter and me with our mission mom, Ruth Rohgaar. She was and is such an angel!

Here is some of the Den Haag Motley Crew! Cowan, me and Merk. I love these men!

Mark Swenson was one of my saviors in Apeldorn. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of Easy - aka Elder Howell.

Poor Steve and Paul. I think Steve was saying, "Look at all these old people!" and Paul was saying, "I'm glad we're not that old!"

Steve and Karla are probably the people we see the most from my mission, and that still isn't enough!


There's a saying that goes, "Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold". I LOVE my old friends and family and look forward to all the new ones that are coming!

1 comment:

graden and haley said...

oh mom, you are so great! I just love you!!