Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Tender Mercies

I hesitate even writing about this, but I really want to remember it!!!
I want to talk about tender mercies, little miracles, proof that angels are among us.  And in the words of my friend, Toni, Don't call me Dumb!!!

I'm not a Comic Con type person.  I don't read comics, I don't play video games, and I know very little about Star Trek and Star Wars.  But when I heard that Weird Al Yankovic was going to be at FanX, well, I was tempted to go.






I have been a Weird Al fan since the day I heard his "Polkas on 45".  I think he's funny and creative. He has come in and out of the spotlight for the last 40 years!!! So when my KIDS discovered Weird Al, I was so happy to have fellow fans!! In fact, last year for Mother's Day, Melanie and Alec bought me tickets to see him in concert.

Even though the concert ended up being the night before V'Laines' funeral, I still HAD to go!! (I couldn't disappoint the kids- Ok, disappoint me!!!)  I don't know when I have enjoyed a concert as much as I did his!!! He was funny, entertaining and did not disappoint!  I was so amazed at the crowd- there were people there ranging from ages 10 - 90!!!

Well, Sydnee asked me to make a costume for her for FanX-or SAL Comic Con on March 17-18th.  She sent me a picture and I threw together a dress resembling "Star Butterfly".  Andrea was so appreciative, that she (and George) got me a ticket to Comic Con.  But to make it even more doable, she got 4 free kids passes.  I just KNEW my grandkids would love something like this, so I agreed.

I told Andrea that because I would be bringing 4 kids, I would need help.  She assured me that Sydnee and Abbie will love to help.  I shared my plan with her of leaving at 8:30 to be there around 9:45 to be one of the first one in.  On Friday evening, I called to confirm our plans and to see if I could just pick up Sydnee to take her with me.  Andrea then informed me that they would be staying at George's in West Jordan and would meet me there, by the silo at the Salt Palace.

On Saturday morning, Christopher, Rome, Gray and Emily, I pulled into the City Center parking.  As I did, I called Andrea to inform her that I was there.  She answered the phone groggily, saying she wasn't even awake yet! "Just watch the people and we will be there soon." - was her solution.  I didn't hurry with the kids, in fact, we played by the fountains at City Creek for a while.

We meandered over to the Salt Palace, and when I tried to call Andrea for an update, my phone had died!  I was so worried about charging the tablets for them to play with, I had neglected my phone!!

A slight panic settled in, but so did hope that Andrea would be there any moment. The kids were amazingly good, just watching people and admiring the costumes.  Feeling so helpless, I turn to the only thing I knew to do - pray!  In my heart, I pleaded, "Please encourage Andrea to come quickly.  Not just for me, but I am a little overwhelmed with trying to take care of all those kids."

As I was silently praying, a mother and a daughter walked up to me and offered her "free kids passes" for the grandkids!!! What an angel!!! I told her that I was waiting for my sister, but I really would appreciate the passes.  Now, I just needed Andrea to show up with a pass for me to get in.

A few moments later, 2 little 8-10 year old girls walked up to me and held out a wrist band.  I asked, "Is that for me?" They said, "Yes."  With tears in my eyes, I thanked the, hugged them and told them that they were angels!!! I could now take my grandkids into Comic Con.

Talk about answers to prayers!!! We toured around the Salt Palace looking for some sort of playground.  I decided since there wasn't really anything to play on, I would take them to McDonalds, buy them lunch and let them play there.

At 12:50, as we were literally walking through the exit, we ran into Andrea, Sydnee and Abbie.  I got some money, got the kids faces painted, (met Weird Al) bought them Italian Ice and left!!

We made it home at about 3:30! Way later than I had planned, but happy with the memory of my tender mercy with the wonderful earth angels!!







No comments: