Wednesday, December 10, 2008

WHAT?!?!?!

Last night was our Relief Society Christmas Party. I heard that George Durrant was coming to speak to us after the meal. That in itself was convincing enough for me to plan on attending. Sunday, the Relief Society President stopped by to see if I would make a cake to bring. I was thrilled to be asked!
Well, I delivered the cake and then went to the cultural hall. It was beautifully decorated. There was soft music playing in the background and the company was delightful! They served a 5 course meal that would compare to any 5 star restaurant. A lot of effort had been put into the evening and it showed!
Then the moment of truth, the guest speaker. I remember as a teenager listening to Brother Durrant speak and being so inspired. I guess my hopes were raised a little too high!
He rambled for a little while and then sat down. The two things that stood out about his talk was that when he was little, and only got tinker toys for Christmas, his parents told him to appreciate what he received because kids in MAPLETON and Delta had far less than he did! OUCH! If we would have been in Mapleton, I would have chalked it up to dry humor, but this was in Provo! I guess us old Mapletonians rate right up there with the starving children in Africa!
Then he admonished the women to take care of their husbands because they needed the support-Agreed- but then he said, "I guess you don't need the support like your husbands do!" WHAT?!? I thought a marriage was a partnership, not slavery!
Maybe he should have retired from public speaking a while ago! I'm sure I will find the humor in this in the near future, but as for now, I'm a little disappointed!

3 comments:

Jenkins said...

You poor poor child to be raise in Mapleton!!!! How did you survive??? I think you should start going around speaking about how HARD your childhood was and how you overcame it!!! :D Love you mommy (even though you wont call me OR answer my phone calls)

Unknown said...

What a weirdo!

Dan & Celeste said...

Ann, On your daily giggle, I heard that the owner of the rv actually sued the rv company because it never said in the owners manual that you have to stay in the seat while it is on cruise control. I guess the guy won. I heard it on crazy things people have sued for and won.