Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Walked On Fire

Yes, I know I'm not the first one to do so, but I think I was probably the noisiest! I have been told that "How you do anything is how you do everything". This has cause me to analyze just about ALL of my actions. Let me share my fire walking experience.

I attended a weekend leadership workshop in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. It was well attened and the workshops were very informative. I was absorbing all that I could. Rumor had it, that there was to be a fire walk the last night. I had heard of people walking on fire and always thought that there was some magical chant or at least method to do it! When it was announced that there would be a fire walk, I was very annoyed. No one had taught me anything on how this was to be done! Before I came to this weekend retreat, I had already made up my mind that I would do everything I was asked to do, so reluctantly, I followed everyone to the fire pit.

As the fire roared and heated up the area, I grew more agitated. I knew I had to do it, but I didn't want to! I'm not one of these people who hear angels, receive visions or anything like that! How was it that I was expected to do something so ..... woo-woo! I grabbed my sisters hand and said, "Let's do it!" As we stood at the edge of the fire, I imagined and HUGE firey mouth gaping open to swallow me up! I backed away and said, "Maybe in a minute." I didn't do it! She went without me. As the night progressed, I became angrier at the leaders and mostly myself.

Once again, I grabbed my sister's hand and said, OK, this time for real!" I just closed my eyes and with the idea that I would rather die than chicken out again, I walked...Ok, I ran! When I reached the other side I yelled, "That was hot!" As I calmed down and assessed my situation, I realized that I only had a small blister on my right foot. Most of the heat I felt was in my mind because I saw the fire. Later on that evening, I saw how some of the people had big blisters on their feet, but they didn't yell, only me!

How does that compare to my life? I am starting to think that I am very verbal about my challenges! I sometimes think that my life is extra hard when in all reality, everyone has it hard at some time or the other. Yet the sweetheart message is, by my being so open with my frustrations and challenges, I give others the opportunity to open up and share their feelings without thinking they will be judged!

By the way, I found out you don't have to be psychic or clairvoyant to walk on fire. You just have to be brave and have someone you love and trust by your side.

I love you Debra!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.