Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pain is Inevitable - Misery is Optional

I would love to take credit for that insight, but I can't. Paul and I heard Hyrum Smith speak (No, it wasn't a seance, he is the co-founder of Franklin Planner). He was asked to speak to some of the victims of the 9-11 tragedy. Right after he began, someone from the audience shouted out, "After everything we have witnessed and lost, are you going to tell us that every thing is rosy and to smile?" He replied with that thought - Pain is Inevitable, misery is optional.

That message is so powerful to me, that I think I will never forget it. I feel like I have had a good share of trials that have left their mark. 'They' say that time heals all wounds. I say that some wounds may never heal, but as time goes by, you develop a callous that allows you to function.

There were times in my life that I didn't think I would ever be the same. I even got to the point where I thought, 'Christ's time in the garden and on the cross was only hours long, then his pain was over. ' My excruciating pain seemed to go on for weeks, months and in some things, years. (Yeah, I was immature and short sighted. I have since BEGGED for forgiveness.)

When I heard that thought, something dawned on me. When it was time to put the pain behind me and move on, in some cases, I was unwilling to let go of the pity. I had become so comfortable in my misery, I didn't realize that I was stuck. The pain became manageable, but I couldn't get past the misery.

WOW! It is so liberating to realize that I can let go of the misery.

No one gets through this life unscathed - but many get by with smiles on their face. That is me! Oh, you will see tears, but there will always be a smile, kind of like the rainbow after, and sometimes, during the rain.

There it is again, the idea of dancing in the rain. I think I see a reoccurring theme here!

2 comments:

Hawkes Family said...

I realize that this may be late, but I have always looked up to your smiling face, literally! You have always shown incredible happiness and love for others. Thank you for being exactly who you are, trials and all. I can understand having years of pain, at times it doesn't seem fair but in the end the pain makes us amazing!

Debra Durfey said...

Annie....you are amazing and I am loving your blog! Keep posting! I love, love, love you!!! ~Deb