Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Difference Between Men and Women, EVERYTHING!


President Uchdorf spoke at the Women's Conference about the difference between men and women. His example was basically, when a woman cooks a meal, it's a beautiful, delicious spread, yet she still criticises her culinary expertise. He said, when ever he makes fried eggs and toast, he pats himself on the back and is very proud! I got a big kick out of that! How is that like my life?!?!
I got up Saturday morning and began cleaning. I started laundry, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, pulled weeds in the front flower bed and scrubbed both bathrooms. I sat down for a minute when Haley came over to visit and she said, "What have you been doing?" My first thought was, "Nothing." because the house still needed vacuuming, dusting, mopping, window washing, and don't even get me started on the yard work. When I started thinking about it, I had done A LOT! I ignored the rest of the house and began to scrapbook! Yeah, I paid for not finishing, later, but I felt so masculine! I had patted myself on the back and celebrated!

Last week, Elliot gave me a book to read. It is called "Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys". Evidently, Pres. Uchdorf barely scratched the surface. At one point, while reading it, I had to close the book for a minute. I was laughing so hard, I began to cry!

He not only wrote about the difference between men and women, but also between men and guys. In his book he made a "Stimulus-Response Comparison Chart" He states, "if a woman sees and untamed river in the wilderness and woman response would be to contemplate its beauty. A typical Man response would be to build a dam. A typical Guy response would be to see who can pee the farthest off the dam." It just gets better from there!

I am surprised how I, surrounded by boys growing up, still ended up with such feminine characteristics and Paul, surrounded by women, still ended up with not only men traits, but guy traits as well. I guess it just proves that it is innate! It's our DNA! It just proves to me the importance of Psychologists and Counselors. As long as there are two genders, we will ALWAYS need counseling!


3 comments:

Jenkins said...

Maybe I will be a counselor!!!!

Sahara said...

eeeheeee that last picture was funny!

Joni said...

Ann, I love your writings! I can so relate to this particular blog. It really is the way it is, isn't it? I'm going to start patting myself on the back more. Kevin came home from work last night and I wasn't here. He proceeded to take some meat out of the fridge tht was already cooked from the night before and he cooked some vegetables and made a salad. He then called me and asked me if I was coming home anytime soon because he had prepared dinner for us. He told me everything he had made and was so excited about it. He had to leave for the church so I came home and ate the dinner he had made. When he got home he asked me how I liked the wonderful meal he had prepared. He went into detail about how the veggies were fresh and did I love the strawberries he put on the salad. It struck me when I read your blog that something that I have been doing (for the most part) for the past 31 years and is so routine and unnoticed...he wants major kudos for doing! Don't get me wrong, I was super happy to come home to a cooked meal. It's just goes right along with what you wrote about!