Thursday, October 30, 2008

Making It


I was talking with my daughter about spiritual things. She told me she was worried because in her words, "What if I don't make it because I'm not good enough?" If there is one thing that I am quite sure of, is that I am going to ' make it'. For some reason, I have not had that worry. I know I'm not perfect and that I make dumb mistakes, but I also believe that you are judged on the intent of your heart, and in some cases, that state of your mind! I believe the atonement works and that repentance and forgiveness is a gift. I guess I base my beliefs on experiences that I have had. When I think of a loving Heavenly Father, the following story comes to mind.

When I was a little girl, my mom taught me how to dust, get a clean rag and wipe things down. We then went into the bathroom for more learning. She told me that wiping things down, like dusting, makes it clean, but if you want something REALLY clean, you would use Comet. We then cleaned the bathroom.
Days later, I was thinking, what could I do to help my mom. I noticed that her bedroom set was dusty. I wanted to REALLY clean it, so I got the Comet, sprinkled it on her wood furniture, wet my rag, and began to clean. As I scrubbed, I noticed it didn't look cleaner, in fact, it looked worse than when I started. I felt like I had done something wrong, so I left my project and went out to play.
When mom saw what was done, she lovingly took me in the bedroom and explained that Comet was only for the bathroom and kitchen and not the bedroom. She still loved me.

As I grew up, I reflected on that experience and was AMAZED that she didn't beat the living tar out of me! I had ruined the finish on her only piece of new furniture she had every owned up to that point! It took years for her to save the money to have it refinished.
I compare that to my Heavenly Father's love. I'll bet he watches us make mistakes and shakes his head A LOT! And yet, I can see him lovingly know that we were doing the best we knew at that moment. Like my mom, he still loves us, forgives us and hopes that we learn from our experiences. I think we all will 'make it' if we just keep trying!

No comments: